Friday, July 16, 2010

Rain, Rain, Go Away

"He's done so much for me that I can not tell it all."
-Namatala worship song

Yesterday at school was so, so much better than it has been lately. As a teacher, I have been given full reign to discipline the kids but I really didn't know how. They don't really understand/respond to the concept of time out. I tried taking away recess time but they are so sneaky, and in a class of 50 second graders, it's easy to sneak out without me catching them. I have the option of "caning" them with a big cane pole but that just seems a little harsh to me, plus I don't really know these kids. Yesterday one of my favorite students named Rebecca was acting up during P.E...I asked her to be quiet several times and when she didn't I ended up swatting her little bottom! Ahh! I hated it, but that got everyone's attention. I don't think it even hurt her but from then on everyone understood that I was a REAL teacher. Both the students AND I had a great day and I'm hoping for more of the same on Monday! I only have 3 more days left at Covenant before I go to Kenya.

It has been raining almost every day here. Yesterday I was walking home with some of the I Choose You kids from Namatala and it started POURING. We started running and singing...it was so fun! I invited them to our house and they came inside the courtyard with me for some shelter. We feasted on fruit snacks and they dried my hair with a towel and tried to get the mud off of me (so sweet). When one of the little boys was rubbing mud off of my leg, he turned to his friend and said,
"look, Teacher has fat on her legs like a pig!"

Seriously! Uganda doesn't do a lot for my self-esteem :)




Today I watched the local music competition which Lulwanda Children's Home was a part of. All of the kids did wonderfully, and I have videos if anyone sponsors a child there and wants to see him or her! Also today, I led a Bible study for the women at Namatala. I shared my testimony and it was a really special time. These women truly have NOTHING. I want a faith like theirs! The way they trust and serve God is incredible.

Thank you to those of you who prayed for our little runaway Betty. She has returned to school and her family. We appreciate your prayers that nothing like this happens again!

2 comments:

  1. Dear Julie,

    Thanks so much for your sweet comment! Could you tell I've been needing encouragement in that area? Anyways, God did. Cheered me up. :-) And just so you know, whoever gets to marry you will be totally a blessed guy! We do indeed have a God who provides exactly what we need. Thanks for the encouragement, sister. :-)

    I've enjoyed reading through your blog - so exciting to hear about your adventure so far! I'll bet you're making a bigger difference than you imagine in the lives of those kids. We're praying for you over here. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Only in Africa would you be 'fat like a pig'! ;-)

    ReplyDelete