Wednesday, July 13, 2011

At Home in Mbale

"The place where God calls you is the place where your deep gladness
and the world's deep hunger meet."

-Frederick Buechner

I have been at Morris & Aidah's house in Mbale since Sunday afternoon. It was sad to leave my team behind as they headed for home, but I'm loving my time here! There are 2 other missionary girls living with the Ogengas right now, and I've really appreciated their company. My attitude is completely different with American friends than it is when I'm alone! Also contributing to my good mood is the fact that I have not seen a single African cockroach since I've been here. Glory hallelujah. This is actually the biggest answer to prayer next to not dying of malaria or something like that.

Monday was a day off for my missionary friends, so we went to town (literally and figuratively). We shopped a little in the market, bought fabric and had skirts made, went to a coffee shop, and had a very relaxing time at the Mount Elgon Hotel & Spa. If you haven't been to Mount Elgon Hotel in the last few years, you are missing out on the most American experience in Africa. It was so weird. So beautiful, but so weird. Made me forget I was in Uganda.

I was getting worried in Soroti about my diet because nothing at the hotel or the church site was appealing to me...I hardly ate anything that whole time. But now I remember why I gained weight in Africa last summer: James and his wonderful cooking! We have had spaghetti, pizza, chapati and beans, pancakes, and french toast. We also had a nice chicken and rice lunch...yes, I killed the chickens myself again :) I'm sure there are more wonderful things to come. I want to pack James in my suitcase to take to college with me so he can cook for me and my roommates.

I have been at Covenant Primary School the last few days which is where I taught last summer. Since I'm only here a short time, I'm just working as a teacher's aide. I've been grading and running errands mostly, but I am so busy all day! The best part is that since I'm not a teacher, I get to just play with the kids and not have to boss them. Oh, I've missed them so much. They love the books and school supplies you all sent. Thanks, Grandma and Grandpa for collecting so many!

I finished reading The Help (best book ever, by the way) on my Nook and now I'm reading Thirsting for God, which was recommended to me by Mike Loftis. I'm loving it so far, and I'm sure I'll have more to say about it later. I'm thankful for all the time I've had to read on this trip. It has been so spiritually refreshing!

I miss home a little, but my time here is going so well. Love to my family and my college girls. And thanks to Nan for the quote above and your emails even though I can't answer them all. Can't wait to see my Kenya team soon!

1 comment:

  1. It's great to hear that your time there has been going so well. We're praying for you and miss you!

    ReplyDelete